15 April 2010

They aren't Stupid

Having been regularly spending a little more than 2 hours a week to minister to a group of children (P5s and P6s) in a local Primary School with City Community, 2 incidents had touched me deeply recently.

Firstly, in an earlier week, a question was posed to the class, as to how many of them genuinely think that they are stupid. I was astounded at the number of hands raised, of which a good half of them truly thought that they were stupid, mostly for the fact that they failed a number of subjects in school and/or perpetually unable to pass a particular subject.

When I look at these students, none of them are to me, stupid for that matter. Most might not be the 'bright' students as we would define them to be, but they aren't stupid. They are children with intelligence, with the ability to think and rationalize, people with common sense, and most importantly, they are very sweet children with tender hearts and love and care for others.


A second incident that moved me greatly occurred last week. One of the kids who has problem getting along with other kids in school, and often mocked by other students, asked me a very moving question. This student is named 'X' below.

X: Teacher, do you like me?
Bel: Yes I do. I like you very much.
X: Er... then do you love me?
Bel: (put my right arm around the back of her neck) Of course I do! :)
X: "But sometimes I'm very naughty..."

I then explained to her that I liked her very much, and I do love her. While it is also true that I do not like her 'naughty' behaviors, it doesn't change the fact that I still do like her a lot.


Indeed, these kids out there are so in need of love, for somebody to tell them that there is somebody who loves them, somebody who cares enough. It also makes me wonder what kind of children we are raising up here in Singapore, telling our kids that they are stupid just because they can't pass their exams? I would think it is more likely that most are disillusioned and lazy, rather than being stupid. I am indeed blessed - Blessed to be able to see these kids and hear their stories, blessed to be able to show them some love, care and concern when they need them, blessed to be able to give, blessed to be able to be with them, walk with them, and be a friend to them in their time of need.


IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO BE INCLUDED ON MY EMAILING LIST TO RECEIVE QUARTERLY UPDATES, KINDLY EMAIL ME AT ISABELJLIN@GMAIL.COM.
THANK YOU AND GOD BLESS YOU!

No comments:

Post a Comment